When the weather is cold and miserable and all you want to do is snuggle up with some yummy food and a film in the warm. But when on a specific diet like Keto for example, what will hit the spot? A dilemma I had this weekend and wanted to find an answer for.
I was making a normal lasagne for the family and wondered if there was a version I could make for myself that doesn’t involve loads of carbs. I saw a recipe for cauliflower steaks and thought they would make good ‘pasta sheets’ so that’s where it started.
You will see I used Turkey mince this time but it works perfectly ok with other mince as well.
250g turkey mince
100g mixed veg (cut up small)
½ grated courgette and ½ courgette strips
½ cauliflower, chopped into ‘steaks’
Nob of butter
300g tomato passata
Shake of paprika and oregano
100ml Almond milk
30g cream or ricotta cheese
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
30g grated cheese
- Cut up the veg as required.
- In a pan, add half of the butter and place the cauliflower steaks in. Carefully turn the steaks until cooked but not soft. Remove from the pan and place on a plate for later.
- In the pan add the other half of the butter and cook the chopped onions and add in the turkey mince. Stir until cooked.
- Add the grated courgette and the mixed veg and continue stirring until the veg starts to turn soft.
- Add in the chopped chilli, paprika and oregano and the passata and continue stirring.
- Turn down the heat and let this mixture simmer.
- In a separate pan, pour in the almond milk, cream and grated cheese and simmer until the cheese had melted.
- Add in the arrowroot and ensure you continuously stir or you will get lumps. The mixture will thicken slightly. If it doesn’t add a bit more arrowroot in.
- Now you are ready to start building the lasagne.
- Take an oven proof dish and create layers of the turkey mixture, the cauliflower, the courgette strips and a bit of the cheese sauce until you reach the top of the dish. Finish off with a top layer of the cheese sauce and a sprinkle of grated cheese on the top.
- Place in the oven at 180 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese on top starts to go golden and bubbling.
- Serve as it is or with a side salad. Yummy!
The Macro’s: (This recipe makes two decent servings or three if you serve it with a side salad.)
Calories – 412
Protein – 39.3
Fat – 20.8
Carbs – 16.6