I was lucky enough to be invited to the inaugural workshop session hosted by one of our partners, Premier Global, in central London last week. The day was designed to address the tricky topic of fitness marketing and best practice for the industry, and the audience were mainly recently graduated Personal Trainers looking to start or further their own businesses.
It was held at the DoubleTree (Hilton) hotel right by the Tower of London – my old stomping ground many years ago, so it was nice to revisit that area of London and see how it has improved.
There were a number of key take outs from the day and although it was very reassuring to hear that as a business we are doing the right thing from a marketing perspective, I always find it useful to take the time to reflect on your business and ensure you keep your goals and strategies in the forefront of your mind.
One of the guest speakers from the day was a fascinating thought leader and practitioner in sports science – Dr Colin Robertson. He has been part of the elite training team for many professional sports teams across a number of disciplines, including the last few Olympic Games. An excellent presenter, Colin shared many anecdotes with us and clearly remains very passionate about what he does. But there were a few key points that I thought were particularly helpful and powerful, that I wanted to share with you, certainly if you are a PT reading this:
- 88% of the UK working population come home from work and spend on average 2.5 hours in the evening watching television and better yet, spend most of that time channel flicking to try to find something they actually want to watch.
- This same percentage claim they don’t have enough time to fit in anything they want to do during the week, including doing some exercise.
- Allowing this 88% of people to fit in time for exercise and working with them to change their mind-set or concerns about exercise and the fitness industry is vital to the health of the population.
- Spend time and effort to understand other people’s opinions to fitness and instil trust right from the offset – take a more humble approach as opposed to thinking just because you are trained that you know best.
- A famous quote that Colin used that I will continue to think about with my business: “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” – Vince Lombardi
- Over 30% of cancer cases are preventable through lifestyle changes (World Health Organisation)
- Research suggests that only 5% of cancers are hereditary. That means the non-inherited causes of cancer — the lifestyle choices we make, the foods we eat, and our physical activity levels — have a direct impact on our overall cancer risk.
- Be the person to help this percentage of the population and get people enjoy their lives more.
We are hoping to learn from and work more with Colin and team in the future, to ensure we continue to add as much rigor and scientific fact behind what we do and a high quality service for our Clients.
If you would like to find out more about WIYWO’s ethos and philosophy towards fitness and wellbeing (as a company owner, HR manager or as a PT interested in joining us) please just drop us a line and we would be happy to have a chat.
WIYWO – We’re a new type of employee benefit
T: 0330 333 3232